To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.

Boston Harbor Elementary School Homes For Sale

The first Boston Harbor School was established in the early 1900's to serve Boston Harbor, a small community of farmers shrimpers, and orchard growers. This original school was located in Boston Harbor Proper, near the corner of Main Street and Boston Harbor Road. In the early 1920's Boston Harbor School joined with another school located on Shore Acres Road. The combined school became known as the Pine Grove School. The Pine Grove School was a log cabin, with log furniture. Because the school was not heated it was only open for a few months out of the year. Several years later, this school was replaced by a bigger school, with heat on Woodard Bay Road near 66th street.

In 1938, during President Franklin Roosevelt's administration, the first school on Zangle Road was built as a New Deal WPA project. The original white building stood alone until expanding needs and enrollments required additions. The first additions were a Quonset gym and another classroom. Next came the brick building in 1960 and a portable temporary office in 1967.

In 1964, following the discovery that the then Principal/Superintendent had embezzled funds from the Boston Harbor District, the Boston Harbor School District became a part of Olympia School District #111. The merger with the Olympia School District was the result of a process in which Boston Harbor residents, courted by both Districts, voted to join the Olympia District instead of the North Thurston District. As a part of the merger agreement, the Olympia School District agreed to maintain Boston Harbor Elementary as a separate school, regardless of normal District standards for school size or consolidation.

This commitment was kept in 1990 when the District tore down the old Boston Harbor School and built the present facility, which opened in 1991. The new school was designed with a "harbor community" motif and contained eight classrooms to allow some future enrollment growth.

A significant artifact from the old school was installed in the new building. The large oil canvas mural depicting the Boston Harbor view, painted by Viola Rushforthy in 1962, which had served as the backdrop on the stage in the old quonset gym, was mounted high on the west end of the new gym for all to view and enjoy.

The doors to the computer lab of the new school are replicas of the entry doors from the 1938 white building. The two beautiful ships lanterns, Port and Starboard, were donated by Bill Derkland, a community member and installed in the hallway across from the office. The magnificent Bear on a Box located in the school entry, was commissioned by the PTA and carved by Joe Tougas, a local artist.